PhotosByTom: Photo Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    photosbytom.com Forum Index -> Off Topic Chat
ThomasHAdams
ShutterBug
ShutterBug

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:59 am Reply with quote

Pros:

This is a mature product, I expect better. In light of all the problems I cannot provide any Pros.

Cons:

Wasted space with "Comment" and "Share" buttons.
Slow to start (Adobe is never light on resources, but this is bad for Reader)
"Black" PDF after Alt-Tab or minimize/restore.
Black or Gray PDF's upon opening
Ad Support. You have to be kidding me?
Security issue(s) with Ad support (see below)

Side note: ADM (Really, do we need an Adobe download manager)...

Detail:

Adobe is taking its goto interoperability application and turning into bloatware. I would expect it to at least be stable, and display a PDF. Opening something around 125K should not be a multi second affair. CNET obviously failed in its review and the stars are now given away instead of earned. To top it off, it now provides ad support to spammers.

Quote:

7. Connectivity and Privacy. You acknowledge and agree to the following:

7.1 Use of PDF Files. When you Use the Software to open a PDF file that has been enabled to display ads, your Computer may connect to a website operated by Adobe, an advertiser, or other third party. Your Internet Protocol address (“IP Address”) is sent when this happens. The party hosting the site may use technology to send (or “serve”) advertising or other electronic content that appears in or near the opened PDF file. The website operator may also use JavaScript, web beacons (also known as action tags or single-pixel gifs), and other technologies to increase and measure the effectiveness of advertisements and to personalize advertising content. Your communication with Adobe websites is governed by the Adobe Online Privacy Policy found at http://www.adobe.com/go/privacy (“Adobe Online Privacy Policy”). Adobe may not have access to or control over features that a third party may use, and the information practices of third party websites are not covered by the Adobe Online Privacy Policy.

Does Reader bypass Internet security protocols and options specified in IE, FireFox, Chrome, etc. etc.?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    photosbytom.com Forum Index -> Off Topic Chat

View next topic
View previous topic