PhotosByTom: Photo Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
ThomasHAdams
ShutterBug
ShutterBug

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote

There are several things I am learning about and thought this would be a great place to post them, as well as discuss them. I do not actually see many posts about them which is kind of odd in that we are all about the gear at times Smile

PPA: http://www.ppa.com/ I was refereed to this site as the benefits of joining are most likely a bit better than joining NPS. With regard to insuring of cameras/gear etc. and making connections in the photography field of work.

NPS: http://www.nikonpro.com/AboutNPS.aspx I was very surprised that you must be a "FULL TIME PHOTOGRAPHER" in order to become a member. Seems like there would be many part time photog's that are indeed "noteworthy". I actually thought I had read where at least 50% of your income must come from Photography to be considered full time. I will check on that ASAP.

Insurance: There is all kinds in all shapes and sizes. The one that has caught my attention seems to be what is called "Personal Inland Marine Policy" which, unlike other policies, covers you no matter where you are, what you do to it. You insure for the actual cost of the items and when/if something happens they hand you a check for the amount you were insured for. Normally they will deduct for depreciation. With "Personal Inland Marine Policy" that is not the case, you are insured for the amount that you want to cover your gear for, thusly making it a bit more expensive. "Personal Inland Marine Policy" will not cover you if you are a professional photographer and on the job (some more research into this is required to get the specifics).

Types of insurance (with brief definition):

Renters
Homeowners
Professional/Business
Personal Inland Marine
Riders

Thank you to Carolyn Guild for your input Very Happy

View next topic
View previous topic